Warning: array_merge() [function.array-merge]: Argument #1 is not an array in /includes/class_postbit.php(279) : eval()'d code on line 42

Warning: array_intersect() [function.array-intersect]: Argument #1 is not an array in /includes/class_postbit.php(279) : eval()'d code on line 43

Warning: array_merge() [function.array-merge]: Argument #1 is not an array in /includes/class_postbit.php(279) : eval()'d code on line 42

Warning: array_intersect() [function.array-intersect]: Argument #1 is not an array in /includes/class_postbit.php(279) : eval()'d code on line 43

Reset PATS ? - FordRides.com

Go Back   FordRides.com > Truck and SUV modifications > Stereo and Electronics
User Name
Password
Register Gallery FAQ Image Host Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2010, 03:07 PM   #1
chris4x4gill2
Admin

My FordRide

Reset PATS ?

Anyone know how to reset the PATS system on a 99 Explorer? Or any 98-04 Ford?

My '99 SAS Explorer
chris4x4gill2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 06:54 PM   #2
RIZ
Admin

My FordRide

Found this on the internet

First off let me start by explaining how the PATS system works on your vehicle. The key has a chip that transmits a security code. This code is one out of billions and billions of combinations (72 million billion to be exact), and this code must be programmed into the anti-theft module to allow the vehicle to start. The PATS module communicates with the PCM of the vehicle digitally to tell it it's ok to start the vehicle. Because this is a digital communication
, there is no way to "cross" a wire or anything simple to fool the system into working.

If it's not starting, and the theft light is blinking, it means that either that key is not programmed into the computer, or there is a malfunctioning part in the PATS system. Assuming the vehicle was stolen, it's likely the thief used a programmer to clear the existing key codes and to program whatever device they used in its place. This is why the "original" key, even when held up to the transponder, won't allow the vehicle to start.

It's also possible the key they provided isn't the original one, which would cause the same symptoms.

Now, there are bypass modules you can purchase, but the problem is that they still will need to be programmed into the PATS system on this Explorer. The problem is that unless you already have two working keys you cannot program a third (the PATS will see this module as a third key), which kind of defeats your whole purpose. These modules are usually installed onto a normal working vehicle to allow a remote starter to function, not to necessarily get around a non-functioning PATS system.

The only suggestion I can give is to hold the key up near the PATS transceiver module itself (this is behind the center part of the dashboard.. refer to the illustration below). If this does not work, then the PATS system will need to be repaired and reprogrammed to your new keys, and this requires a FORD WDS, or NGS, or compatible scan tool (A universal OBDII scanner will NOT do the job).

You might try contacting a locksmith, as they are starting to invest in PATS programming equipment, and might be cheaper than a dealership (and might even save you a tow).

Good luck!

Read more: http://www.justanswer.com/questions/...#ixzz0fvmbJ16C
Old 02-22-2010, 11:23 AM   #3
chris4x4gill2
Admin

My FordRide

I found that or something similair earlier, but really doesnt have an answer for me. I'm looking for my other set of keys to give it a try.

I also had a friend taek their 99 mustang v6 in to the shop for a no-start issue very similair to mine, they were able to fix the car by resetting the PATS, so I'm going to try to get them to tell me what they had to do.
Old 02-23-2010, 08:46 AM   #4
chris4x4gill2
Admin

My FordRide

I really dont know what exactly fixed it but I had determined that the PATS system was turning off the fuel pump as part of its anti-theft thing. The key I usually use was not being recognized by the trucks PATS reciever.

I disconnected the battery for several days, and then reconnected it, still wouldnt work. So, I dug around for a while until I found the other key. Disconnected the battery again and then reconnected it and tried the other key. This time i hear the fuel pump prime It took a minute of it coughing and sputtering , but it evened out and idled for about 30 minutes just fine.

I then turned it off and tried the other key, it worked as well.